Archive for category Fun for all
…the school library version.
Remind the student they have an overdue library book.
Invite them to get more library books out.
You know you’re a librarian when you see book covers everywhere. Case in point:
And now I want them both #LibrarianProblems
If you ever wanted a clip to show your students what determination to win and achieve looks like, then this might be the one to show them. I am going to put this on my school blog because I know my boys will relate to it, but it would be great to show any kid I think. This guy is just so cool, and I particularly love the reaction of his fellow riders at the end!
It is from @timoslomo on Twitter
I’ve been quietly seething for the last few days and as my opinion hasn’t diminished I’m hoping a wee rant and public posting will allow me to move on.
Have you seen the new Lego Librarian in Lego’s mini-figures Bio series?
I guess we need to celebrate that Lego has acknowledged our profession and immortalised it in Lego. That is pretty cool. And honestly, I don’t mind the cardigan, I mean, well, aren’t they kinda chic this season?
No, it’s the mug that I take exception to. The mug with its “Shhh!” message! What is with that antiquated librarian image? Surely, the Shushing Lego Librarian isn’t a stereotype that we are happy to identify with?
Thank goodness for Mr Library Dude’s humour. Joe Hardenbrook (aka Mr Library Dude) wrote a thoughtful piece on Image, Public Perception, and Lego Librarians and went on to digitally redesign twenty-eight Lego Librarians – a brilliant assortment of librarian personalities, examples of how the public may perceive us, including satirical captions.
Regardless, the “shushing” mug has got to go. How about a “search engine” or “knowledge creator” coffee mug instead? Would these slogans be as immediately identifiable as a librarian? Sadly, I think not. Enhancing our professional image is certainly worth fighting for.
Any other suggestions for librarian coffee mug slogans?
and then if you are a secondary school librarian you might want to add a few of your own. Here are some from me.
- You greet student librarians with Yo G! Or it’s alternative What up G! Instead of Hello there sweetie!
- You know major players in various bizzarre sporting codes despite having little to no interest in anything remotely related to sport.
- You are as obsessed with 4 Pics 1 word as your students and you are constantly being asked for help, “cos Miss you know everything right?”
- Given that the library is gossip central you know the details of far too many teenage relationship breakdowns/startups/on holds, and constantly surprise the students by saying “oh yes I know her Mother!”
- You have become incredibly sick of telling the students to “Go ask your Mum if you can borrow her copy of 50 Shades of Grey, because no, we will not be having it in here!”
- You have to guard your Mockingjay pin because even though other staff have no idea what it is, you know that if you take your cardigan off with the pin still on it, you may not ever see it again. In general you are prepared to have your fashion sense critiqued every day by the fashionista crew who are always hanging in the library – at least that is how it seems at our school.
- You are well aware that even though the adults may have moved on from vampire romance that is isn’t dead in the hearts of some of your most loyal clients.
- You know exactly how cool you are if you show year 13 students a clip that they haven’t seen yet, but which is ridiculously funny.
- You keep having to tell the students that “versing someone is quoting them poetry, not going against them in a match!” This is a pet bugbear at the moment.
- Your students stop you in the street and say “hey Miss remember that time when …..” and you laugh and laugh.