Posts Tagged Manga
I’ve been doing some reflection, stocktake is always good for that I find, lots of mindless zapping, the rapid beep beep of the scanner promotes ponderous thoughts, on what has been popular in the library this year. I’ve noticed that a lot of my collection is looking very ragged, that most of the new stuff is out, that the perennial faves need to be replaced. Urgently in some cases – Gone series are falling to bits even though there are something like 5 copies of all of them. I’ve been thinking about what I need to work on for next year and where the budget should be spent. Manga seem to be front and centre of my thoughts as some copies that I hadn’t seen in a while were returned this morning and they are such a pain in terms of barcode placement and shelf space.
I’ve noticed a few things this year:
- My top two year 9 borrowers are all about the Manga – both are in lower band classes but they read, then re-read every Manga we have.
- My most avid readers (of books) aren’t much interested in Manga. They’ve dipped in, but overall are more interested in a traditional story.
- Attack on Titan is just soooo popular that I have to have multiples of the first 5 volumes, and have replaced lots of them due to wear and tear this year and have now started purchasing of both of the sub series.
- I need some new series suggestions that aren’t too ‘mature’ I have all the usual suspects, and the boys have been great for suggesting new ones, but there are never enough.
- Where to keep the ever expanding collection? We have three big bookshelves full of Manga now. Its a monster!
- Lots of boys that many people consider to be non-readers (lower bands, reading difficulties etc.) read lots of manga. They are regular visitors to the library and this causes a great deal of surprise for staff visiting the library and finding it full of so called ‘non-readers’.
So, apart from needing to continue to spend bundles of money on manga and replacing the lame and infirm books, I need to investigate space solutions and myriad other things Manga related.
Are your libraries Mangafied? Are your students obsessed as mine are? Do you have new series I should buy? Let me know in the comments.
Have you caught the Manga bug? If you haven’t here are some links to start off with.
Manga 101, School Library Journal, This very serious thing which made me a little yawny, but probably holds good stuff for those with longer attention spans than I, This is the always awesome No Flying No Tights, such goodness here. There is a LOT in here at Manga Bookshelf, Read them online yourself at Manga Panda. And Manga Town, so very much Manga in here.
We currently stock: Bleach, Fairy Tail, Naruto, Vampire Knight, One Piece, Attack on Titan, Black Butler, Vagabond, Assassination Classroom (only the first 3), Tokyo Goul (only the first 3), Death Note, Bakuman, Full Metal Alchemist, One, One Punch Man (only a few), Sword Art Online – in it’s various iterations, there are more but I’m stocktake brained at the moment and can’t think of them. I’ll add them as I remember them.